Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Weary Wanderer Homeward Wends His Way--Part 2

The Pearl entered the Chamber of the Pendant. It was not a real chamber, of course, being a mental construct the members of the Pendant used in their discussions, to keep their anonymity--but to those going communicating in it, it took on the appearance of one. To the Pearl (which was not his real name of course,) it took on the appearance of the sort of rooms he’d spent his boyhood in, a poor common inn, albeit one largely devoid of people. There was only a small group of them, seated around a single table. In appearance they varied greatly, but one thing remained constant--they had no faces.

“The Pearl approaches the Pendant,” declared the Pearl.

“Hail and well met,” replied his fellows.

“This meeting may now begin,” said Onyx, appearing as always as a shadow.

“Perfect! Brilliant! You may now all hear my latest plan! Which is perfect and brilliant!” declared Opal, standing up. Opal’s appearance was as usual that of a glittering woman, whose image shimmered and shifted as she moved.

“Give us time,” said Sapphire, adjusting the large blue hat that obscured his face in shadow. “We are still recovering from the last one.”

“As well as the plan you inflicted on us without warning,” said Jasper, dull green eyes glowering from his dull green cowl. “I understand it has taken you months to get yourself together after that.”

“Now, now you two,” said Emerald, her sparkling green mask held skillfully over her face. “Opal has proven a valuable member, time and time again.”

“More ‘instructive’ than ‘valuable’ to my mind,” whispered Sapphire.

“I heard that!” snapped Opal, glaring at her fellow. “Oh, if I knew who you were I would track you down, pull out your eyes, and have beetles claw through your brain to teach you a lesson about being mean to me.”

Sapphire chuckled. “It would most certainly teach me one.”

The Pearl coughed politely. “I must insist we refrain from.. bickering and get to work on the matter at hand.”

Onyx nodded. “The Cthoniques.”

“Oh, how I hate them!“ snapped Opal, slamming her fist onto the table. Then suddenly she laughed. “Oh--oh--oh--I just had a beautiful plan to kill them all, horribly. Please, please listen to it! Please!”

The other members of the Pendant all glanced at each other. “In due time, Opal,” said the Pearl at length. “In due time.”

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure Opal is Falerina, and Emerald might be Tisiphone. I have no idea who the others might be.

    ReplyDelete