Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Siege of the White Mountain, Vol. 3: Due to the Dead--Part 15

Ruggier Mongrane limped through the halls of the Great Lion Tower of Monleone, Morgaine Cthonique following beside him.  "Yeah, have to say I appreciate not having to worry about you getting too far ahead of me," she noted.  The young Dark Lord glanced at her.  "What?  I'm a jerk.  It's who I am."

Ruggier sighed. "So, I hear you saw some festival in Monfort during your visit..."

"Yeah," said Morgaine.  "Nissy's convinced it's some... ancient Cthonique thing.  I'm pretty sure it isn't."  She gave a dismissive wave.  "I mean--it's a weird world.  Lot's of crazy stuff in it.  Doesn't mean it's our crazy stuff."  Ruggier merely looked at her.  She turned around quickly.  "Man, I never thought I would find someone as irritaitng doing that as my big brother."  She shook her head.  "Gonna be an interesting time."

"So, you and he are..." began Ruggier.

"Yes, we are trying your idea," said Morgaine. "Linking the movements between friendly forces using advanced thoughtspeech."  She opened a door.  "It's... working pretty well, actually."

Ruggier nodded as he stepped through.  "Selptier always thought it would.  But he never found anyone interested in his ideas.  At least, while he was alive."

"Thank goodness," said Morgaine.  "I'm trying to imagine what my Dad could have pulled off with something like that.  It's not a happy thought."  She glanced at Ruggier.  "I gotta ask, why are you so interested in..."

"A Mongrane must serve Tremisona," said Ruggier, sitting at a great table with a map set before it.  "Serve and defend.  I am the first Duke in generations not to bear the title of Marshal.  And that being so, I serve in another fashion."

Morgaine looked at him for a moment, and shook her head. "Yeah, you and Manny are gonna get along like a house on fire."  She shook her head.  "This is turning into one weird war from where I stand, you know that?  Nine-tenths of our allies are people we used to fight."

"I'd call that a good sign," said Ruggier.

"Yeah, but it's confusing," muttered Morgaine.  "I've already got a love affair with a traditional rival going on that breaks all sorts of taboos.  This stuff just cheapens that."

Ruggier raised an eyebrow as he looked up from the map. "Are you implying this is all about you?"

"From where I stand, of course it is," answered Morgaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment