Thursday, December 10, 2015

A Merry Season--Part 5

"There's my little girl!" said Viviane cheerfully, as she wrapped her arms around Malina. 

The little Dev rested her head on her stepmother's shoulder.  "I missed you, Mommy Viv!"

"Mmmm, you're getting so big," muttered Viviane cheerfully.  She glanced at Meg Mowton, seated nearby.  "So, how was...?"

"Very good, Badb," answered the older witch.  "It's been a pleasure and a honor to care for your daughter by adoption."

"Well, thanks, Meg," said Viviane, as she let Malina go, "and naturally, I thank you for taking care of Malina's education in this long and difficult time..."

"Oh, she's been really, really good at it!" said Malina cheerfully.  "I'm much gooder at using spells than I was before!  And she's shown me all sorts of neat tricks!  Like this one!"  She clapped her hands together.  A large gust of wind blew through the hall, creating a twirling vortex in room's center.  It began to make a loud howling noise that sounded like several hundred people screaming.  Malina grinned broadly at Viviane.  "Isn't it wonderfuller?" she shouted. "I actually made it louder than what Meg taught me to do!"

Viviane forced on a grin.  "That's... sure something."  She glared at Meg who smiled broadly back at her.  "Could you maybe... make it stop, perhaps?"

"Only when it wants to stop!" said Malina cheerfully.  After a few minutes, the vortex gradually began to weaken and grow quiet.

Viviane's eyes went wide.  "Ahh, that's..."  She coughed as the thing finally went silent.  "...Something..."

Malina nodded enthusiastically.  "I can't wait to show it to Daddy!"

"Mmm... hmmm."  Viviane spread her arms.  "Now, who wants another hug?"

"Oooh!  Oooh!  I do!  I do!"  said Malina turning to embrace her stepmother again.  Viviane smiled, and then fixed her eyes on Meg Mowton in the proper du Lac fashion.

After a moment, the older witch stood up and left the room.

3 comments:

  1. Just did an archive crawl over the last week to read the story thus far and I must say this is one of the best series I have read. The author clearly demonstrates their ability, dedication and love of and to their work.


    Also foil hat theory, Nissy is the true head of the necklace and is using them to further his goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that theory, but I just can't see it being true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading through for the first time right now, and I have a weird feeling along those lines too, particularly since one of his favorite people is involved so deeply in it. It just feels like something he would do. The only thing that makes me think it might not be him after all is the lack of hats to designate ranking within the Necklace.

    ReplyDelete