Thursday, January 21, 2016

Around Again It Comes--Part 2

"Yep, a good Midwinter this year," declared Morgaine loudly, as she leaned over the balcony.  "Everything went well.  Very well."

Elaine stared at her aunt for a moment.  "You know," she noted eventually, "I would fee a lot more comfortable if you didn't say things like that."

Morgaine managed a truly epic snort.  "Oh come on!  Are you actually saying that my saying that things are good will magically render them... ungood?"

"Well," noted Elaine with a nervous bite of her lip, "you will admit that there's a tendency for statements on good things to... jinx matters."

The previous snort was now topped by a truly extraordinary laugh.  "Oh, oh, Elaine..."  She chuckled and shook her head.  "You have had a neglected education.  Next I expect you're going to toss salt over your shoulder.  To avert the evil eye."

Elaine sighed.  "You're just being awful right now.  So I'm going to ignore you."  She shut her eyes, and began to hum loudly.

"Sure that will help," said Morgaine.  Elaine continued to hum.  "I mean--do you think that there's some sort of awful thing coming at us now, because I said things were going fine, and it will hit, because I said that, and we will all be sad, and I will shout at the top of my lungs, 'Oh, I wish I had not said that things were going well this Midwinter!  Alack and alay!'"  Elaine paused in her humming.  "Well, do you?"

"Well, no," said Elaine.  "Because you'd never say 'alack and alay', in a serious conversation."

Morgaine pointed at her.  "I might," she stated.  "You can't be sure of that."

Elaine raised an eyebrow.  "Yes, I can."

"Okay, okay," agreed Morgaine, waving her hand.  "I'll give you that one.  But come on!  Can we agree that this is just... ridiculous?  The world does not work that way." She gave a forceful nod.  "At all."

"You are just bucking for a metaphorical lightning bolt," muttered Elaine.

Morgaine shrugged.  "Ehhh, as long as I'm not standing under a metaphorical tree, I should be fine..."

No comments:

Post a Comment