Saturday, February 20, 2016

Around Again It Comes--Part 15

Armida nodded at the sisters, as Tisiphone lightly played her lute.  "I see."  She shrugged.  "We'll work around this."

Semele glanced at the older woman in surprise.  "You're handling this well."

"I want to do this cleanly," said Armida calmly, glancing idly at her hands.  "Too much blood will make things awkward in the long run."

Leucippe fidgeted nervously.  "Are you sure this place is safe?"

Armida smiled.  "This room's been lost so long that even the Castle isn't quite sure where it is anymore."  She laughed.  "You see?  There are secrets I know which that mad Ashurana does not."  She shook her head.  "She truly was a treasure trove of information, you know.  She simply didn't know just what she was in possession of."

"Well, obviously," muttered Semele. "Like you said, she's mad.  I suspect she isn't aware of all sorts of things she happens to have."

Armida sighed.  "I'm finding this increasing skepticism on your part rather irritating, Semele.  Do you forget all you owe me?"

The younger woman glanced away.  "Well, of course not.  It's just... well, now that we're close, the stakes... and what we're doing... I'm not comfortable with all of it." She stiffened as Armida drew close to her and placed a hand on her cheek.

"Well, I recommend you get comfortable with it, Semele," she said with a smile. "Because that is how things are going to be from now on."

Semele gulped slightly. "Of... of course... Lady... Lady..."

Armida's smile grew.  "Go on.  You can say it now."

"Lady Cthonique," said Semele, shutting her eyes.

Armida took a deep breath.  "Ahh.  That sounds so sweet on these ears. I do admit it."

No comments:

Post a Comment