Thursday, May 26, 2016

Around Again It Comes--Part 56

Morgaine shook her head as she walked through the groaning halls, where the sound of stone moving against stone echoed.  "So... what was the point of all that?" she muttered.

Elaine glanced at her aunt.  "We faced an attack.  Seems self-explanatory to me."

"Yeah, but..."  Morgaine sighed.  "What did Armida think?  She'd kill us all, and then just... take our place?  That after promising the Magnates Lady knows what, they'd smile and nod when she told them 'Heh!  Just kidding!', and that would be that?  I mean... her own father is dead--or more dead, anyway, and all for what?" 

Elaine frowned.  "I... look, will you accept the take of a young woman who, even if she hasn't experienced all that much, reads a lot of novels?"

"Would I be asking if I wasn't willing to?" replied Morgaine quietly.

"I think she just lost track of things," said Elaine.  "I think at some point, getting to say she'd won became the point, and everything else she said was just something she said to get there."  She raised her hand before Morgaine.  "Whoa... I am feeling a shifting under my feet..."

Morgaine paused, and looked ahead.  The hallway before them twisted around, inverting what had been the ceiling, and the floor.  Morgaine shuddered.  "You know, I've been used to this place for  years.  And now--now I'm going to have to do that all over again.  Because of things like that."

"I'm sure it will stop eventually," said Elaine.

"Really?" asked Morgaine.

She shook her head.  "No, I'm just trying to give you hope."

The Dark Lord sighed.  "Figured," she said.  "I have to say, you've come a long way from when we first met."

"Well, thanks..." began Elaine.

"I mean, even if you are still mostly an annoying kid, you have moments of being less annoying now," continued Morgaine.

Elaine frowned. "I should have learned to expect that from you, shouldn't I?"

Morgaine's eyes raised in surprise. "You're just now figuring that out?" she noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment