Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Light the Lamp So Bright--Part 25


"So," said Sacripant as they reached the surface, "it's clear what we do now."

"Yes," said Nathan.  "Go home.  And eat.  Then sleep."

Sacripant stared at the man.  "That's it?  A member of the damned Ancients, who so far as I can tell are the people who run this crazy city..."

Nathan nodded. "You've got it.  More or less.  There are complications, and..."

The Erl raised his hand.  "I get it.  I get it.  Anyway, he's dead, and you're not going to check into it?"

Nathan sighed.  "You're going to insist we look into it, aren't you?"

"I've got a job to do," said Sacripant.  "Same as you, I suppose.  The Cthoniques sent me here to figure out what was going on.  And I think I'm on to something.  So I'm going to keep looking."

"That's not how we do things in Talossa," said Nathan.

Sacripant rolled his eyes.  "I've noticed."

"Well, it doesn't seem to be penetrating," hissed Nathan.  "There are rules here.  Some written, others... just understood.  And the greatest is 'mind your own business'/"

Sacripant nodded.  "Right."  He looked out over the rain-filled streets.  "What's that oath of yours?  That gets you Lamplighters out in the streets at night to make sure the lanterns are lit?"

Nathan looked away.  "I'm not allowed to divulge it to outsiders," he said.

"I bet you I can guess the jist of it," said Sacripant.  "And that part of is keeping your fellows here safe."

Nathan was silent for a moment.  "That's an... interesting guess," he said at last.

Sacripant seemed about to say something, when he stopped, and tackled Nathan to the ground.

The crossbow bolt struck the wall behind them.

No comments:

Post a Comment