Saturday, March 18, 2017

Light the Lamp So Bright--Part 63

Nina yawned as she clambered out to the street.  She'd slept less well than she'd hoped to--it'd been a chilly night, and the common room she'd rested in had been cramped and ill-smelling.  Still, an honest to goodness beggar didn't really have the right to choose in these matters.  You went with what was available, and hoped that it wasn't too bad.  She did a few stretches to get the kinks out, and then prepared to go to this day's spot.  Which wasn't as good as yesterday's, but then, that was the point.  "Nina," said a familiar voice, one she hadn't expected to hear today.

"Nathan," she said turning.  "I'm..."

"Surprised to see me," said the Lamplighter.  "Thanks for sending me the news..."

"Don't mention it," replied the musician.  "I was pretty much doing what the guilds wanted me to.  How...?"

"Things have been resolved," said Nathan.  "Listen--I need you to spread word amongst the Beggars.  Something big is happening, and I'd like your people to be part of it."

Nina raised an eyebrow. "How big are we talking?"

"The Lamplighters and the Knife-Grinders are going to be leading the charge on this," said Nathan.

"That sounds... intriguing," she said, noting to herself that this sounded suspiciously like what seemed to have been the case over the last few weeks.

"And we're heading to the Council of Ancients," he continued.

Nina stared for a moment.  "And you want... I'm sorry, but why do want the Beggars to join you for... this?  Nobody cares about us.  With you and the Knife-Grinders, it's pretty much the collection of poor as shit Guilds..."

"That's the point," said Nathan.  He looked around the street.  "You know it's funny.  For years, I served this city.  I never thought to ask why.  And I never wondered what would happen if the Lamplighters didn't do their job..."

"And so... you're quitting?" she asked, puzzled.

"Oh, no," he said. "I've just realized what my job really is.  That's all."

No comments:

Post a Comment