Saturday, April 8, 2017

Light the Lamp So Bright--Part 72

The Goblin he'd spoken to earlier--it'd seemed so long ago now--was nervously darting about when Sacripant entered.

"--Can't blame me," she muttered. "I need this job!  You people with the luxury of making choices tend to be unduly hard on those of us less fortunate."

"Don't care," said a familiar voice.  "You messed up."

Sacripant gulped, and did his best to keep the smile appearing on his face from looking unduly goofy.  "Hey, Quiet."

His fiancee turned to him.  "Hey. I was just explaining to this... jerk that she messed up."  The Ghoul turned back to the Goblin and glared.

Sacripant stepped between the pair.  "Now, let's all calm down.  It's been a crazy few weeks on my end, overthrowing the Ancients, and..."

Quiet blinked.  "So that really happened?"  She shook her head.  "I tell you, I had a hard time believing the stories that had you storming the Council..."

"It was pretty easy to storm," said Sacripant.  "Really, all you had to do was walk towards it and be intimidating."

"Ahh, well, that clarifies things," said Quiet.  "I was almost impressed when I first heard it."  She coughed.  "Anyway... it's been busy back at the Castle.  We're at war."

"Yes, I know," said Sacripant.

"No, not the war against Leonais... We at war with the Shadow Wood," explained Quiet. 

Sacripant stared for a moment. "You know what, I figure there's a big story behind all that, so how about this--you come with me, we get a couple bowls of noodles and you explain it all to me."

Quiet considered things. "Are they good noodles?"

"They're amazing," answered Sacripant.

No comments:

Post a Comment