Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Whither Goes the Wind--Part 13

Polychrome strode into the throne room, yawning, several retainers trailing behind her.  "I tell you, these duties are driving me to distraction!" She sighed.  "I almost wish I had not been chosen to be Chief Sylph..."

"Really?" said one.  "Because I..."

"Almost Iris," said Polychrome.  "However, as irritating as it is for me, no other Sylph is up to the job."  She turned and snorted.  "Why look at you!  Listless and witless, the lot of you!  What would you do without my direction?"  There was an awkward silence. Polychrome stared at them, glaring. "I asked a question.  Why aren't you answering?"

One of the Sylphs coughed.  "We thought it was rhetorical, Shining One..."

"See, that's exactly what I'm talking about, Ushas!" snapped Polychrome.  "These weird failures on your part!  Why any of you people imagine you could manage to guard the mirror, for example..." she noted turning to the cupboard.    She stared at it a moment.  "Iris, am I imagining things or is the cupboard open?"

"It most certainly is, Shining One," agreed Iris quietly.

"And the mirror is gone?" asked Polychrome.

"I would assume so," noted Ushas.  "I mean--I've never seen it, because you've never shown it to me, or... any of us, so far as I know..."

"I wasn't talking to you," hissed Polychrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment