Saturday, July 29, 2017

Whither Goes the Wind--Part 18

"See!" said Etain spreading her hands wide.  "Isn't exactly as I said?"

Lulea squinted--the Bell was like everything on the sun exceedingly shiny.  "Yes.  Great and golden and... bell-shaped," she muttered.  "What's it for?"

Etain stared at her, baffled. "What?"

"Why do you have a massive golden bell here?" asked Lulea.  "I assume it's got some purpose, besides... you know... existing?"

Etain's stare shifted to blank puzzlement.  "I have no idea, and have never asked."  She turned to the Bell. "I mean, why would I?  It's just... great!  This is the neatest thing on the sun! We all love it!  We come here and stare at it, for hours on end!"

Lulea nodded.  "You Salamanders have very dull lives."

"Only on the sun," said Etain, glancing on the doorway.  "Now come on, let's move.  Some more people have come in."

"What you're not going to give me time to... take this in," snapped Lulea.

"No, because that plan I mentioned of avoiding Hyperion involves avoiding people in general..." said Etain, as she rushed the Sylph out of the chamber.  "He can get real upset when people do that.  Unpleasantly so."  A loud ringing started behind them.  "Hmm.  So THAT'S what it's for!"

No comments:

Post a Comment