Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Whither Goes the Wind--Part 19

The steady peal of the bell rang out on the plains of the Sun as Etain and Lulea raced away.  "Well, it sure is loud," said the Salamander.  "It really makes you admire Lord Hyperion's skills as a planner, eh?  I mean, I would never have thought to prepare for a potential rebellion right off the get go, but he did!"

Lulea grimaced.  "You know, I preferred it when you were miserable!"

"Well, duh! You were in your Sylph home!" said Etain.  "Every thing was happy for you there!  Just like everything is happy for me here!"

"We're running from your own leader's people!" snapped Lulea, stopping to pause near an outcropping.

Etain shrugged.  "I meant aside from that.  This is where we're supposed to be, no matter what Vulcan says!  We feel better here!"

"You keep mentioning Vulcan," said Lulea.  "I'm starting to think he's pretty damn important."

"To us," answered Etain.  "Not to you.  And we should get moving again, I think..." 

"I still need to catch my breath," muttered Lulea.  "Which is a new experience for me let me..."  The sound of tramping feet interrupted her.  A group of Salamanders rushed into view, and leveled their spears at her.  Lulea panicked.  "No, no, you want..." she began, gesturing to where Etain had been.  The young Salamander was gone.  Lulea wilted and fell to the ground in exhaustion and despair.  "Of course," she muttered. 

As the guards approached, she realized that the ground here was uncomfortably warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment