Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Whither Goes the Wind--Part 22

The oubliette had quickly proven at least partially a pleasant surprise to Lulea's mind.  It was a small, cool, darkened chamber, apparently one of the only places on the sun that didn't glow with unbearable light and give off an unpleasant heat.  The Sylph was enjoying it, and taking the time to enjoy as much of a nap as she could.

As her thoughts were routinely haunted by the thought that she was likely going to be taken from the place soon it wasn't much of one, but in these circumstances every little thing counted, to Lulea's mind.  And so she tried to wear down this fretful wakefulness by count numbers forwards, and sometimes backwards, despite the rather poor performance of this plan.

"Are you counting?" said a familiar voice.  "Because noonteenth is not a number."

"Etain!" declared Lulea brightly.  "I thought you'd abandoned me!"

"I did," answered the Salamander.  "But then I felt guilty about it.  You did help me after all."

Lulea smiled at that.  "Why yes, I most certainly..."

"Even if you did try to betray me to the guards back in the woods," stated Etain cheerfully.

"Ahh, yes," muttered Lulea, glancing away.  "Sorry about that..."

"Oh,  you can't help it!" said Etain.  "You Sylphs are so funny looking, I'm not surprised at anything you do."  She turned away.  "Now come on!  I happen to know a secret way out of here from the last time I was here!"

As Lulea followed the Salamander, still trying to figure out the exact extent of the insult Etain had previously uttered, it occurred to her that Etain had once again let drop some rather disturbing information, when it was considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment