Thursday, August 10, 2017

Whither Goes the WInd--Part 23

"Have to say I'm impressed," noted Etain as the pair wended their way through the tunnel.  "Most Salamanders just lose it in there.  All dark and cold."  She shuddered.

"Yes," said Lulea.  "I have nerves of steel, under it all."

"Oh, I can tell," agreed Etain.  "I'm glad to have gained you as an ally.  It's the only hope I have in this terrible situation I'm in."

"Is there any chance I could get some details on this situation?" asked Lulea.

"What situation?" asked Etain cheerily.

Lulea froze for a moment.  "You just... mentioned one..."

"Did I?" asked Etain.

"Yes," snapped Lulea.

"Oh," replied the Salamander with a nod.  "If you say so, I must have.  I get distracted easily and forget things."

Lulea gulped as she realized that not only was her existence in this being's hands, but that she had no way to be sure if Etain was lying or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment