Saturday, August 12, 2017

Whither Goes the Wind--Part 24

"And here we are!" declared Etain grandly as she stepped out into the light.  "Outside again!"

Lulea winced in the bright glare.  "Excellent," she muttered through clenched teeth.

"Yeah, it is pretty great," agreed Etain. 

"So what's the plan now?" asked Lulea, trying to hide in the shade of a tree--difficult because trees on the sun didn't give off shade but glowed with a sparkling light.

"We run and hide some more!" answered Etain. 

Lulea stared at the Salamander.  "That's it?"

"I know!" said Etain grinning ear to ear.  "It's simple--but elegant.  It's perfect."

"Well, I'll give you... simple," muttered Lulea.  "I just wish you had something... more detailed."

"Give me a break!" said Etain with a shrug.  "It's not like I've got that mirror of yours to help get me out of this situation!"

Lulea blinked.  "Ahh, yes.  That."  She drew the mirror out of her shift.

"You still have it?" said Etain.  "And you haven't tried to use it?"

"I barely know how!" snapped Lulea.

"Yes... but... you were in a prison," said Etain.  "You had a better chance to try than when you were in the air with the... thingys."

"Birds," noted Lulea.  "They were birds."

No comments:

Post a Comment